Excavators broke gas line that caused Camby house explosion

This Tuesday, Nov. 14, 2017 photo shows the damage done by a gas explosion in Camby on Monday, Nov. 13, 2017. (WTHR Photo/Kyle Thomas)
Investigation into Camby home explosion continues
Three families displaced by Camby fire
Published:
Updated:

CAMBY, Ind. (WTHR) - State investigators confirmed Tuesday excavators working in the area ruptured a gas line, which led to Monday's house explosion in Camby that displaced three families.

One home was destroyed and the homes on either side are, for now, uninhabitable.

Hendricks County 911 received the call of a fire in the 10800 block of Walnut Grove Bend shortly before 11 a.m. in the Colony neighborhood.

Fire investigators confirm there was a gas leak on the street, which was later determined to be caused by workers digging in the area, according to the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission.

A spokesperson for Vectren, the local gas utility, said Monday that their crews were on scene after the explosion helping to shut off gas, but not before.

Firefighters and neighbors helped the newly-homeless family sort through what was left of their home Monday morning.

"Boy, just got the house, he just bought the house is what he's telling us," said neighbor Norman Fuchs.

A close friend says the family, a mom and dad and two kids, weren't even finished unpacking and settling into the new place when they lost close to everything, including their two dogs.

Investigators say no one else was home when several explosions went off.

"You could feel it, it was like somebody dropped a bomb," Fuchs said.

"There was no way that anything, if they were inside, could survive," Kerry Burns said.

Burns was at home when she heard the first sounds of trouble.

"The first one went off and I said 'What was that?'" Burns recalls.

Burns didn't know what she was hearing until she heard the second blast.

"Another big boom went off and I said, 'Ok, I gotta go outside and check it' and I looked out and there was flames everywhere,” Burns said.

Not five seconds later, she heard a third explosion.

"The house just kind of went up. I mean, it was like there was nothing left of that house," Burns said.

Homes on either side were also damaged, the siding melted. The smoke damage to those homes was bad enough that those families also couldn't stay Monday night.

"They had two little babies," Fuchs said of one of the other families.

"They come down to our house. They had to bail out of their house real fast," he added.

A GoFundMe site has been established to help the family.

Filed under: