Delphi community maintains hope one year after girls' disappearance

One year since Delphi murders
One year anniversary of Delphi murders

DELPHI, Ind. (WTHR) — A year after Libby German and Abby Williams were murdered, many Delphi businesses still have "WANTED" posters in their windows. This reminds people of the girls, the reward for information leading to their killer, and an artist’s sketch of the suspect.

There’s a couple of posters at the front door of the Flower Shoppe.

Last year, just like Tuesday, workers were busy making flower arrangements when word spread that Abby and Libby were missing. A day later on Valentines’ Day, the teenagers were found murdered.

“Kind of...the earth stood still,” store owner Belinda Weatherwax said. "It kind of stood still for town - a small town of less than 3,000 people. That kind of thing doesn't happen in Dephi. It is a town that the last year, almost everyone has heard of."

Best friends Libby and Abby vanished while they hiked to Monon High Bridge, a popular local landmark outside of town. Their bodies were found up stream in a secluded wooded area.

“We are looking for anyone who saw something,” Indiana State Police Sgt. Kim Riley told reporters at the time.

As thousands of tips poured in, dozens of federal, state and local police hunted for the girls' killer.

Eight days later there was a break in the case. When Libby German saw trouble coming, she took a photo of their suspected killer and recorded his voice on her cell phone. A man’s voice is heard saying “down the hill" in the recording.

“There is evil living among us,” ISP Superintendent Doug Carter said at a news conference.

Looking for evil, police investigated 30,000 leads and 1,000 persons of interest. But a $225,000 reward and a detailed sketch of the killer haven’t led to an arrest. It’s been a year of anguish and frustration, especially for Libby’s grandparents Becky and Mike Patty.

“One day it seems like it’s been forever that it’s happened. Other days, it feels like yesterday,” Becky said.

Abby Williams' mother, Anna, understandably struggles as well. She never thought that a year later she would still be waiting for an arrest.

“It would nice for this to be over, but it is not yet and we will wait as long as it takes," she said.

At the Flower Shoppe and no doubt in many Delphi families people are waiting, too.

"For an answer,” Weatherwax said. “An answer to our prayers."