Coroner: Woman died when metal straw went into her brain during fall

File photo of metal straws in a glass of water. (Shutterstock/Andrey Popov)
Published:
Updated:

BROADSTONE, England (WTHR) - A coroner has ruled that a metal drinking straw caused an English woman's death last November.

Elana Struthers-Gardner, 60, was found lying on her stomach November 22 by her wife, Mandy. When Mandy rolled her spouse over, she noticed the straw had gone through her eye.

Further investigation revealed Struthers-Gardner was carrying a Mason jar drinking glass with the straw stuck through the screw-top lid. When she collapsed, the 10-inch steel straw went through her left eye socket and pierced her brain, The Daily Echo reported.

Mandy Struthers-Gardner called for an ambulance when she saw the straw, still in the glass, through her wife's eye. The victim was rushed to the hospital where she died.

Struthers-Gardner suffered from scoliosis and had several fractures in her back from a horse riding accident when she was 21. That made her prone to falls, The Daily Echo reported.

Her wife issued a warning that the straws are dangerous, especially for people with mobility issues, and the coroner's office concurred.

“If someone does fall on one and it’s pointed in the wrong direction, serious injury can occur," said Assistant Coroner Brendan Allen. “It seems to me these metal straw should not be used with any form of lid that holds them in place. It seems the main problem here is if the lid hadn’t been in place the straw would have moved away.”

Filed under: