Cigarette near gas can causes porch fire

An improperly discarded cigarette caused significant damage to a home. (Photo: IFD)
Published:
Updated:

INDIANAPOLIS (WTHR) – A porch fire that caused significant damage to a home Saturday could have easily been avoided.

Around 3:45 p.m., IFD responded to reports of a residence fire in the 700 block of North Bellview Place.


Fire investigators say the fire started when a cigarette was improperly discarded into a plastic container near a gas can, causing the fire on the front porch of the home.

Officials say the fire cause significant damage, estimated at $2,500.

No injuries were reported.

Filed under: