76-year-old Muncie woman and her granddaughter brutally attacked in their home

Wilma Lewis (left, with her daughter) and her granddaughter, Haley Hines, suffered serious injuries in an attack in their home.
Muncie grandmother beaten
Violence against elderly women

MUNCIE, Ind. (WTHR) – Police say a man took a taxi cab to a home in Muncie early Friday morning, forced his way in and brutally attacked a 76-year-old woman and her granddaughter.

"It started right here in the living room," said Lana Lewis-Walker, a daughter of Wilma Lewis. "He had my mom down on her knees with her face down in the couch."

Wilma and her 28-year-old granddaughter, Haley Hines, suffered for a nearly half-hour at the hands of 40-year-old Randy Lennis. The photos of both women's injuries are disturbing.

Wilma Lewis and her granddaughter, Haley Hines, suffered serious injuries in the assault. (Submitted photos)
Wilma Lewis and her granddaughter, Haley Hines, suffered serious injuries in the assault. (Submitted photos)

"It's just unbelievable," said Lewis-Walker, holding back tears. "It's a nightmare. I see her face when I go to sleep at night. I haven't been able to sleep, actually, because all I can see is her face. I mean, you've seen the pictures and it's bad."

Lennis was apparently upset being unable to contact 28-year-old Haley Hines, who he has a child with and an on-and-off relationship for the past seven years. The family says Lennis called 67 times on Thursday trying to reach Haley, who lives with her grandmother, Wilma. He showed up at the house on South Hackley Street around 3 a.m. Friday, angry and drunk.

"He's done a lot of threatening and phone calling and things of that nature," said Lewis-Walker. "I just didn't really ever think it would get to this point. He's always been very unstable. He has a lengthy record."

Randy Lennis has a lengthy criminal background.
Randy Lennis has a lengthy criminal background.

Lennis' criminal record began more than 20 years ago, when he was 19 years old. He has served prison time for battery with five convictions. Lennis also has five OWI convictions, two invasion of privacy convictions and others. He was ordered to undergo anger management in one case.

"I have been fearing this will happen for quite a long time," said Lewis-Walker. "You never really think it's going to happen. But I was a little fearful."

Police say Lennis beat Wilma with a metal lamp and attacked her with a pair of scissors, leaving blood all over the walls and carpet. Wilma's injuries include four brain bleeds and lacerations and bruises on her face and neck, and stitches in her hand. Lennis even knocked out one of Wilma's teeth, which her family found in the carpet while cleaning up the bloody mess.

Haley has lacerations on her neck and chest. Her eyes are bloody and swollen from Lennis pushing his thumbs into her sockets and dragging her.

"He came here to kill them," said Lewis-Walker. "He said several times he was going to kill them. That's what he was here for. He said they deserved to die. They deserved what they were getting."

The taxi driver became concerned when Lennis did not return to the car to pay his fare. The driver witnessed Lennis holding a pair of scissors to Haley's throat and threatening to kill her. Lennis was still punching Hines when police arrived.

Lennis is held on a five felony charges including aggravated battery, criminal recklessness, burglary, and intimidation.

"My hope is that Randy Lennis never walks the streets again," said Lewis-Walker. "He has a very long record. I hate that he was even able to walk the streets."

Wilma was unconscious when police arrived and doesn't remember much of the attack. She is expected to be in the hospital for another two weeks. Doctors say she is permanently disfigured.

"She's a really tough lady, so she's going to pull through this," said Lewis-Walker.

Filed under: