2-year-old killed; 3-year-old, dad hurt in Beech Grove fire

A 2-year-old girl died in a fire at her Beech Grove home Wednesday morning. (Family photo)
Deadly House Fire Investigation
2-year-old girl killed in Beech Grove house fire
2 year old killed in house fire
Child killed in house fire

BEECH GROVE, Ind. (WTHR) — As neighbors left flowers and mementos for 2-year-old Brianna Chislom, who died in a house fire in Beech Grove Wednesday morning, the child's father returned to the scene on North 6th Avenue.

The 35-year-old dad didn't want to be on camera or talk, his head and arms bandaged from injuries he got while trying to save his little girl.

Neighbors were there for the heartbreaking scene earlier in the day as the dad fought against smoke and flames, trying to get back inside the burning home to save his little girl.

"He just refused to stop and leave. He was like, 'My daughter's in there! I gotta get my daughter!" said neighbor Ronald Constant, who heard the dad screaming.

Constant can't get it out of his mind, the image of the father's frantic attempts to rescue his daughter from their burning home.

"It was probably one of the most heart-wrenching things," said Constant.

Moments earlier, Constant himself had been on the burning home's roof with his two teenage sons. The home was divided into four apartments, with only three occupied.

Constant lived upstairs, but escaped with his kids thanks to a neighbor who brought a ladder.

"When I got off the roof, I realized what was really going on," said Constant. "My neighbor was down there trying to beat a window out with his bare hands, cut his arm up because his daughter was inside."

"The windows were covered with smoke, flames coming out," said downstairs neighbor Victoria Matley, who managed to escape.

"He was standing back there just screaming in fear. His daughter was trapped in there," Matley recalled.

"I just dialed 911. There was nothing else to do really, 'cause the smoke was just pouring out and flames. There was no way in there," Matley said.

Fire crews say the father had managed to get out from the back apartment with his three-year-old son. So did everyone else in the other units, everyone except the 2-year-old, who fire crews later found in a room.

"God bless her. God must have wanted her for bigger and better things," said Constant's girlfriend Kim Mead.

"Losing your daughter and being on the other side of the wall, just seeing it happen. I can't even get my mind around it," said Constant.

Both the father and his son went to a local hospital after the fire. Both were treated and released.

The grieving father created a GoFundMe page to help pay for funeral expenses for his daughter.

Filed under: