Sabres re-sign C Ennis to 5-year $23 million deal - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Sabres re-sign C Ennis to 5-year $23 million deal

Posted: Updated:
  • NationalMore>>

  • NCAA settles head-injury suit, will change rules

    NCAA settles head-injury suit, will change rules

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 9:15 PM EDT2014-07-30 01:15:26 GMT
    The NCAA has agreed to settle a class-action head injury lawsuit by creating a $70 million fund to diagnose thousands of current and former college athletes to determine if they suffered brain trauma playing...More >>
    The NCAA agreed on Tuesday to help athletes with head injuries in a proposed settlement of a class-action lawsuit that college sports' governing body touted as a major step forward but that critics say doesn't go...More >>
  • 5 food writers subpoenaed in 'pink slime' lawsuit

    5 food writers subpoenaed in 'pink slime' lawsuit

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 9:13 PM EDT2014-07-30 01:13:08 GMT
    Several food writers, including a New York Times reporter, have been subpoenaed as part of a company's $1.2 billion defamation lawsuit against ABC related to the network's coverage of a meat product derided...More >>
    Several food writers, including a New York Times reporter, have been subpoenaed by a meat producer as part of its $1.2 billion defamation lawsuit against ABC in regards to the network's coverage of a beef product...More >>
  • Judge gives NY carjacker a break in long sentence

    Judge gives NY carjacker a break in long sentence

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 9:03 PM EDT2014-07-30 01:03:43 GMT
    A man serving a 57-year sentence for three armed carjackings in the mid-1990s won a reprieve on Tuesday when a federal judge agreed that the punishment was "unjust."More >>
    A man serving a 57-year sentence for three armed carjackings in the mid-1990s won a reprieve on Tuesday when a federal judge agreed that the punishment was "unjust."More >>
By JOHN WAWROW
AP Sports Writer

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) - The Sabres re-signed center Tyler Ennis on Thursday to a five-year contract worth $23 million, addressing one of the final pieces of their offseason rebuilding plan.

Two people familiar with the agreement revealed the terms to The Associated Press. They spoke on the condition of anonymity because the Sabres referred to the contract only as a multiyear deal.

Ennis will make $7.3 million this season, $4.75 million in 2015-16, and $3.65 million in each of the final three seasons of the contract, one of the people said.

Ennis was a restricted free agent after the Sabres retained his rights by tendering him an offer last month. Buffalo has re-signed four of its five restricted free agents. Only forward Luke Adam remains unsigned.

Ennis is a speedy, playmaking forward who led the Sabres with a career-best 21 goals and added 22 assists in 80 games last season.

Last month, general manager Tim Murray spoke highly of Ennis and how he might help revive the team. Last season, the Sabres (21-51-10) finished last, set a franchise record for losses, and established a post-NHL-expansion-era low by scoring just 150 goals.

"I like his approach to the game. I like his compete level. I like his speed," Murray said. "There's a lot of things I like about him, and if we can do a long-term deal with him, then obviously the decision we've made is we'd go forward with him."

Ennis was the second of Buffalo's two 2008 first-round draft picks. He is a two-time 20-goal scorer and has 69 goals and 97 assists in 267 games over four-plus seasons with the Sabres.

Murray has already been busy restocking the Sabres this summer.

Buffalo made a splash in free agency by signing forwards Matt Moulson and Brian Gionta and defensemen Josh Gorges and Andrej Meszaros. Center Sam Reinhart, selected with the No. 2 pick in the draft last month, will also have a shot at making the team.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow