Two Indianapolis women are taken to the hospital after an early morning house fire on the city's southeast side.
The fire started just before 4:15 a.m. at a home in the 2300 block of East Beecher Street, near Churchman and Raymond. IFD says 73-year-old Patricia Bunten escaped the burning home on her own, but her 53-year-old sister had to be rescued. She was taken to Eskenazi Hospital in critical condition, according to IFD spokesperson Rita Reith.
Reith said the fire started when one of the women was cooking bacon on the stove and lost control of a grease fire.
The damage to the one story bungalow is estimated at $75,000.