Video manifesto by suspected California found on YouTube - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Video manifesto by suspected California found on YouTube

Updated:
(photo taken from YouTube) (photo taken from YouTube)
ISLA VISTA, Calif. - Police didn't have to search long to learn what motivated a 22-year-old gunman to kill six people and injure seven others near a California college campus Friday night. The answer was a click away on YouTube in a chilling manifesto.

The victims were gunned down at nine different crime scenes by a driveby killer firing at random on the streets of Isla Vista, near the University of California - Santa Barbara.

"The car had pulled up in front of the IV Deli Mart, at which case I heard 12-- somewhere between 12 and 20 shots into a group of people that were eating in front of it," said Robert Johnson, who witness one of the shootings.

The spree of terror stretched for blocks and finally ended with the gunman himself dead.

Saturday night, his family confirmed the shooter was Elliot Rodger, who - on a lengthy YouTube posting made hours before the rampage - calmly laid out his plan for what he vowed would be a "day of retribution." "Revenge," he said, against the women who had rejected him.

The 22-year-old son of associate film director Peter Rodgers of "Hunger Games" fame had been a student at a local community college, not UCSB. The family's attorney confirmed he was the gunman, a child of divorce struggling with personal problems.

"We are experiencing the most inconceivable pain, and our hearts go out to everyone involved," the attorney said in a statement on the family's behalf.

Rodger had a life of privilege, comfortable with world travel and private country clubs, but in a seven-minute manifesto, said his hatred and rage were fueled by constant rejection by the girls he pursued and by the men who looked down on him.

So he allegedly took a semi-automatic handgun and a supply of ammunition, turning into a drive-by shooter spraying bullets at random targets in the night. Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown called it "a pre-planned mass murder."

The suspect fired at people outside a deli, a sorority house, a pizza place and a 7-11, leaving six dead and seven injured. One victim staggered into the home of a friend, Dylan Car.

"He said he was shot," Car said. "We thought he was joking. He showed us where he was bleeding."

Six minutes after the first 9-1-1 calls, police encountered the alleged shooter's car and there was an exchange of gunfire. The suspect crashed into another car and a bicyclist before dying of a gunshot to the head. Investigators are still working to determine if it was self-inflicted or if he was hit by an officer's bullet.

There had been other recent hints of Rodgers' mounting personal troubles before the video manifesto. He'd taken to Twitter posting, "Why do girls hate me?" He also posted on his blog about Santa Barbara, saying, "A beautiful environment can be the darkest hell if you have to experience it all alone."

Each of those posts building to the YouTube manifesto, where he said, "I will take to the streets of Isla Vista and slay every single person I see there."

Rodgers' family said they warned police about the video before the shootings, leading some to ask about whether the entire incident could have been prevented. As of Saturday night, there had still been no comment from the sheriff's office about that.
Powered by WorldNow