Man dies in Santa Claus house fire - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Man dies in Santa Claus house fire

Updated:
SANTA CLAUS, Ind. -

An early morning fire in Santa Claus, Indiana has killed a 65-year-old man.

The Indiana State Police say Bryan Gregory of Santa Claus died after fire ripped through his home.

The house was engulfed when firefighters arrived at the scene around 6:30 Friday morning. The home is in the gated community of Christmas Lake Village.

One of the residents, 66-year-old Maureen Gregory, escaped, but her husband remained inside after losing consciousness due to smoke inhalation.

Firefighters believe the fire started accidentally in the living room. The woman told investigators she dropped a cigarette and couldn't pick it back up before the fire started.

Maureen Gregory was airlifted to the University of Louisville Hospital in Louisville, KY, where she is in stable condition being treated for smoke inhalation and first-degree burns.

Santa Claus and Carter Township Fire Departments responded.

Powered by WorldNow