Fire damages classroom building at Marian University - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Fire damages classroom building at Marian University

Updated:
INDIANAPOLIS -

Students had to be evacuated Monday night after a fire on the Marian University campus.

The fire broke out around 7:15 at Fisher Hall on Cold Spring Road.

Marian sophomore Denzel Campbell captured the flames on his phone. His video showed fire going through the roof of Fisher Hall. Campbell and his friend, Amanda Scanameo, were in a meeting in a building nearby when the fire started.

"It was coming out of the top right of the building," Campbell said.

"We were sitting in a classroom and a janitor kind of tapped on the window and was like, 'Hey, check that out over there - there's a building on fire,' so it was pretty sudden and scary," Scanameo added.

Indianapolis fire crews say the fire started in the attic of the building, but it's still not clear exactly what sparked the blaze.

Fisher Hall, built in the 1950's, houses photography, art and theatre classes. About 16 students and an alumnus were rehearsing for a play when they smelled smoke. Most of the students evacuated the building, but three stayed behind to check for the smoke's source.

"They proceeded to look around for the smoke. They found the smoke in the upstairs, came out and actually called 911," said Indianapolis Fire Lt. Larry Tracy.

Firefighters brought the fire under control within 25 minutes.

There were no serious injuries, although the alumnus was treated on scene for minor smoke inhalation.

As fire crews work to find a cause, the university is assessing the damage, to see which classrooms inside still can be used. Marian University leaders say classes in Fisher Hall scheduled on Tuesday will be moved to other buildings.

They sent out a campus-wide alert to let students know about the change.

Damage from the fire is estimated at a quarter-million dollars.

Powered by WorldNow