Candle suspected to be cause of house fire near Fountain Square - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Candle suspected to be cause of house fire near Fountain Square

Updated:
Chopper 13 HD shows the huge flames at a house in the 900 block of Lexington Avenue Thursday morning. Chopper 13 HD shows the huge flames at a house in the 900 block of Lexington Avenue Thursday morning.
INDIANAPOLIS -

IFD investigators believe a candle ignited a house fire in the 900 block of Lexington Avenue between Shelby and the south split.

The call came into 911 shortly before 6:00 a.m Thursday.

According to IFD spokesperson Lt. Larry Tracy, two women inside the home were taken to the hospital to be checked for smoke inhalation. They are expected to be okay.

Lt. Tracy said one of the women apparently fell asleep with the candle lit next to her bed and then woke up.

"She said the candle actually busted and caught the bed on fire. She attempted to put it out and was unable to," Lt. Tracy told Eyewitness News.

The fire then took off. The extent of the damage is being determined.

Firefighters say the bitter cold weather, along with snow and ice, added to their challenges.

Powered by WorldNow