Worker taken to hospital after possible chemical exposure - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Worker taken to hospital after possible chemical exposure

Updated:
INDIANAPOLIS -

An employee at a west Indianapolis plant was taken to the hospital after being exposed to hazardous vapors Wednesday night.

Wayne Township firefighters responded to the incident at Vertellus Specialties in the 1500 block of South Tibbs Avenue around 6:15 p.m. Wednesday. One worker was reportedly exposed to vapors from a cracked benzene tank. The employee was alert and conscious and was taken to Eskenazi Hospital to be checked out.

Firefighters originally thought two workers were exposed, but later said only one employee was affected.

A 10,000-gallon tank with some residual benzene had cracked, firefighters say. Any liquid that leaked was contained in basins onsite.

The benzene is used in chemical processing. Firefighters say there was no exposure outside the plant and the public is safe.

Powered by WorldNow