Greenfield family escapes Christmas morning house fire - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Greenfield family escapes Christmas morning house fire

Updated:
For now, the Deming family is staying in a Greenfield motel For now, the Deming family is staying in a Greenfield motel
GREENFIELD -

The tree, the warm fireplace, the kids having fun. It's Christmas for the Demings, but they're not home. 

"There was too much black smoke, " Amelia Deming said.

"Next thing I knew, I was just coughing and gagging," her husband said. "I needed some oxygen."

Kirk and Amelia and their two sons escaped the Christmas morning fire that hit while everybody slept. Three adult relatives were staying with them when one of them noticed the blaze.

"He's like there's a fire, get out, get out, get the boys," Kirk told us.

"They were like, what's going on," Amelia said. I was shoving them, go go go!" She's referring to Roman, age 8 and Dylan, 3.

"(It was) kind of frightening," Roman said. "We got out right in time, but my father went to protect the presents so they wouldn't be destroyed."

"We were throwing (the presents) out the door," said Kirk. "Literally putting them on the porch 'til the fire department showed up."

The family moved here from Florida just last month. For now, they will be staying at a Greenfield motel, thanks to the Red Cross.

A honeymooning couple staying at the same motel learned of the family's fire. "They had left us $50 once they heard of our situation," said Kirk. "We don't know who they are, didn't even get to meet them."

Powered by WorldNow