Southport woman uses Facebook to connect with birth relatives - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Southport woman uses Facebook to connect with birth relatives

Updated:
Toby Hardy and Betsy Boys Toby Hardy and Betsy Boys
Betsy Boys Betsy Boys
Betsy marveled at how much she resembled her mother, especially in how they smiled. Betsy marveled at how much she resembled her mother, especially in how they smiled.
  • HeadlinesHeadlinesMore>>

UPDATE: Missing man with autism found safe

Saturday, April 19 2014 7:32 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:32:46 GMT
    Jerome Parks, 23, was reported missing around 3:00 p.m. from his group home in the 5100 block of Guion Road on the northwest side, according to authorities. Search crews found him around four hours later in the area of 16th Street and Senate Blvd.More >>

A warm pattern takes over

Saturday, April 19 2014 5:44 PM EDT2014-04-19 21:44:21 GMT
    It will be a quiet and calm evening with light breezes out of the east and temperatures will fall into the mid 40's. Easter Sunrise is at 7:00am and the temperature will be around 46 degrees.More >>

Ball State football Spring Scrimmage in the books

Saturday, April 19 2014 4:49 PM EDT2014-04-19 20:49:51 GMT
    With a modified scoring system, the defense defeated the offense by a 44-22 margin for head coach Pete Lembo, who will be in his fourth season at the helm in 2014.More >>
SOUTHPORT -

One week ago today, Betsy Boys' life changed forever when she created a Facebook post.

"I was born at St. Francis hospital in Beech Grove on May 29th, 1984 and I'm searching for my biological mother," she wrote on a Facebook page designed to track down her birth mother.

It was something the 29-year-old Southport woman had thought about for years and was finally ready to do.

"I just agreed to the terms of use and hit the submission button and thought here goes nothing," she said.

Within hours, she received hundreds of messages including one from her biological mother's sister.

"When I saw that message from my aunt, my heart dropped I just stared at it for the longest time and knew I'd found her," said Betsy.

While Betsy's mother wasn't able to meet, her aunt shared pictures.  Betsy marveled at how much she resembled her mother, especially in how they smiled.

She also shared messages with several new cousins, but it was the message from Toby Hardy that floored her. He indicated they were likely related.

"I thought, hmmm, maybe he's a cousin," she says. "I never dreamed I'd have a brother."

And Toby, raised as an only child, never dreamed he'd have a sister. The two met a couple of days later.

"When I opened the door and saw him I couldn't stop staring.  I've never seen anyone who looked like me except for my children," she said.

Toby added, "I just couldn't believe it. I was like, it's too good to be.  I don't have much of a family and I always wanted a sister or a brother, preferably a sister."

Toby got his wish and so did Betsy, although she's still waiting to meet her mother

"I'm going to be patient, give her all the time she needs," she said. "I know it will happen. It will happen in God's time."

In the meantime, Betsy, Toby and several cousins will gather for a pre-thanksgiving celebration.

Betsy notes her adoptive parents and sister have all been tremendously supportive of what she calls her "biological journey."

She says she's also heard from hundreds of people around the world interested in her story and looking for advice on reconnecting with their family members.

She's quick to caution that not all adoption searches have happy endings.  For now, she's just thrilled she added a brother to her family.

Keep up with Betsy's journey here.

• Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

Friends, colleagues remember life of slain IMPD officer

Saturday, April 19 2014 12:34 PM EDT2014-04-19 16:34:23 GMT
    Picture provided by familyPicture provided by family
    The influence of an IMPD officer killed by her ex-husband in a murder-suicide went far beyond the police department. Neighbors and those who worked with Ofc. Kimberlee Carmack are still trying to understandMore >>
    The influence of an IMPD officer killed by her ex-husband in a murder-suicide went far beyond the police department.More >>

Franklin mom visited by phony CPS workers

Thursday, April 17 2014 8:11 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:11:37 GMT
    A Franklin woman is warning other mothers after she says two people came to her house and threatened to take her children.More >>

Murder-suicide tragedy rare, but followed pattern

Friday, April 18 2014 11:49 PM EDT2014-04-19 03:49:46 GMT
    The domestic violence case that ended in the murder-suicide of two IMPD officers reveals a serious danger for police officers that goes far beyond the risks they face each day in the line of duty.More >>
Powered by WorldNow