Family escapes west side house fire - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Family escapes west side house fire

Updated:
INDIANAPOLIS -

Ashes left in a trash can started an overnight house fire on the west side of Indianapolis Tuesday.  An alarm company alerted the family of four, who were asleep when the fire started.

Wayne Township crews responded to the 6900 block of Westlake Road after a 911 call placed around 12:45 a.m.  They found smoke and fire in the attached garage of the two-story house and had the fire under control within 15 minutes.

The Steffens family got out safely when their alarm company's monitor detected a hot spot in the garage. 

Tim Steffens told firefighters that he had placed ashes from a fire pit in a garbage can along the back side of the house. 

Firefighters said the ashes ignited the siding and spread to the attic.

Victims Assistance is helping the family relocate while damage, estimated at $40,000, is repaired.

Powered by WorldNow