Suit: Man died after drinking hand sanitizer - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Suit: Man died after drinking hand sanitizer

Updated:
WTHR file photo WTHR file photo
MUNCIE -

A central Indiana woman is suing a nonprofit group that provides work for the disabled, alleging that her developmentally disabled son died after drinking hand sanitizer at the job.

Inez Martin's suit alleges that her son, Brian Martin, died at a Muncie hospital in August 2011, 44 days after he "ingested hand sanitizer containing alcohol, causing respiratory failure."

Her suit names Hillcroft Services, a nonprofit that provides work opportunities to the disabled, and two other agencies. It alleges the defendants failed to implement a "behavioral support plan" for Martin that addressed issues including "polysubstance abuse," bulimia, agitation and theft.

The Star Press reports Martin's suit seeks unspecified damages for medical bills, funeral and burial expenses and his mother's loss of Martin's "society, love, affection and companionship."

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Powered by WorldNow