Neighbors help rescue man from burning backyard shed - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Neighbors help rescue man from burning backyard shed

Updated:
INDIANAPOLIS -

When Shankia Stone was doing her morning house work, an explosion rattled the windows. Stone and her sister ran outside to find the source of the noise. Within seconds the air around their house in the 1700 block of Sanwela Drive was filled with thick black smoke.

In shock, they saw their neighbor on the ground yelling and engulfed in flames.

Stone has lived in the neighborhood near 62nd and Grandview for about year. She knows most of her neighbors, except for the family next door. She says they are Asian and do not speak English.

Stone said "It was scary. I have never seen a human on fire - ever - in my life." And she hopes it is the last time.

Stone and a friend took turns using a garden hose, according to Indianapolis Fire investigators, while LeaAnn Koekenberg dialed 911 and her husband Tony shielded the burned man with a large sheet of plywood.

No words were exchanged between the three, "I mean his facial expressions was a sense of relief to me because when he ran out, his hands were in the air signaling for help." Actions did the talking said Stone.

No one knows exactly how the fire started, or what the 60-year-old man was doing in his storage shed. The Indianapolis Fire Department says it was the quick action of two woman that were thrust into action that saved his life.

The victim has not been identified by either the police or fire department, but neighbors told Eyewitness News he was listed in critical condition in the Wishard Burn Unit Sunday night.

Powered by WorldNow