UIndy police investigate dorm room break-ins during spring break - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

UIndy police investigate dorm room break-ins during spring break

Posted: Updated:
  • HeadlinesHeadlinesMore>>

BREAKING: Multiple houses burn in two alarm fire

Sunday, April 20 2014 1:30 AM EDT2014-04-20 05:30:47 GMT
    Fire crews try to put out a house fire at 28th & Rader Ave.Fire crews try to put out a house fire at 28th & Rader Ave.
    The Indianapolis Fire department is working a two alarm fire on the near northwest side. Fire crews were called to the area of 28th Rader Avenue just after midnight Sunday morning.

Eyewitness News has a photographer on the scene and will provide updates as they become available.
    More >>

More >>

Eyewitness News wins 7 AP awards

Saturday, April 19 2014 11:59 PM EDT2014-04-20 03:59:03 GMT
    WTHR Channel 13 Saturday was honored with seven first place awards from the Indiana Associated Press, including Best Newscast and Best Continuing Coverage.More >>

Pacers Fans leave with minutes still left in the game, disappointed by loss

Saturday, April 19 2014 11:16 PM EDT2014-04-20 03:16:57 GMT
    All of the Pacers' fans were decked out in their blue and gold Saturday night. By the time the fourth quarter rolled around, though, fans were singing a different tune. Many left early - even some season ticket holders.More >>
INDIANAPOLIS -

Students returning to the University of Indianapolis after spring break found they were victims of a crime.

Campus police report at least 17 dormitory rooms in two different buildings were broken into on the UIndy campus.

"My door was locked when I left and it was locked when I came back," said student Alex Neu.

"I even told them, 'Yes, I remember locking my room'," said student Julianne Turner.

But a locked door didn't stop a thief from breaking into 17 rooms on the campus of UIndy. Roberts Hall was hit the hardest, with 11 break-ins. Turner's room was one of those, but the only thing missing was her piggy bank.

"I had just counted it, $30," she said.

But $30 is $30 - hard-earned and well-saved.

"I was actually going to go to the car wash, because I had just bought a car over spring break, so that's how I realized it was missing when I was looking for my change to go to the car wash," said Turner.

"They took my bookbag, my graphing calculator and my wallet," Neu said.

Alex had credit cards in that wallet, which he quickly canceled. The calculator will cost more than $100 to replace.

"I don't know why somebody would want to do that," he said.

Piggy banks and calculators are one thing, but Eyewitness News talked with one student who lives in Central Hall who lost much more. He told us the thief stole a 50-inch screen television, an Xbox gaming system and more than $100 in cash.

"It doesn't make me feel very safe to even know that even over spring break, when everything is on lockdown and people still got in and I kinda wonder why they chose me and just my piggy bank of all things. It was kind of strange," said Turner.

To address the feelings of insecurity, the university is planning to change the exterior locks of the doors and step up campus police patrols. University police and IMPD are investigating the thefts and still aren't sure how the thief or thieves got in.

The university says 14 break-ins in a week are very rare, but they hope this will be a cautionary tale for every college student - take your valuables with you when you leave for any extended break.

• Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

Friends, colleagues remember life of slain IMPD officer

Saturday, April 19 2014 12:34 PM EDT2014-04-19 16:34:23 GMT
    Picture provided by familyPicture provided by family
    The influence of an IMPD officer killed by her ex-husband in a murder-suicide went far beyond the police department. Neighbors and those who worked with Ofc. Kimberlee Carmack are still trying to understandMore >>
    The influence of an IMPD officer killed by her ex-husband in a murder-suicide went far beyond the police department.More >>

Franklin mom visited by phony CPS workers

Thursday, April 17 2014 8:11 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:11:37 GMT
    A Franklin woman is warning other mothers after she says two people came to her house and threatened to take her children.More >>

Murder-suicide tragedy rare, but followed pattern

Friday, April 18 2014 11:49 PM EDT2014-04-19 03:49:46 GMT
    The domestic violence case that ended in the murder-suicide of two IMPD officers reveals a serious danger for police officers that goes far beyond the risks they face each day in the line of duty.More >>
Powered by WorldNow