Teens in court after Indianapolis crime spree - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Teens in court after Indianapolis crime spree; father apologizes

Posted: Updated:
A police pursuit ended with a crash in Brownsburg that sent several people, including the suspects, to the hospital. A police pursuit ended with a crash in Brownsburg that sent several people, including the suspects, to the hospital.
INDIANAPOLIS -

Two teens accused in a series of crimes across the Indianapolis metro area Wednesday appeared in court Friday.

The 15- and 17-year-old boys are suspected of committing several robberies and shootings, one of them fatal, in a matter of hours. They were arrested after police pursued them on an 18-mile chase that ended with a crash in Brownsburg.

The father of the 15-year-old apologized after court Friday afternoon. James R. Edwards Sr., 66, was close to tears as he left the Juvenile Detention Center.

"We are very remorseful. My son wasn't brought up this way. He was brought up in the church and he has been going to church pretty regular," said Edwards. "We are very sorry that this happened. It's a shock to our family."

The Marion County juvenile case prosecutor asked for a continuance because they are still working with detectives and investigators on exactly what charges the pair will face. 

"He should have come back home when he missed his bus instead of getting in the car with this other kid," said Edwards.

The boy's mother declined comment after court. 

Edwards' 15-year-old son is the prime suspect along with a 17-year-old in the Wednesday morning crime spree.  Investigators have named them in at least five felonies, including two shootings.

Prior to the chase, investigators believe the boys robbed two people and shot two others. One of the shooting victims, 38-year-old John Yingling, died.

Police arrested the two teenage boys following a police chase where they wrecked their stolen SUV into two other vehicles, injuring several people.

Edwards' son will go back to juvenile court Thursday, February 21, 2013.

"I think it's important that we get a full psychological mental evaluation to see exactly what's going on in the mind of the young person," said family defense attorney Kenneth Riggins.

As his family waits another week to find out the 15-year-old's fate, they are already asking forgiveness from the victims of the deadly crime spree.

"I just want the family to forgive us," said Edwards.

The 17-year-old involved in the case is likely to see the same court motions, according to prosecutors who did not have his hearing information readily available.

The two teens face multiple robbery charges right now. They have not been charged in the fatal Southport shooting so far. That is an ongoing investigation.

The outcome of the Southport shooting investigation could determine the likelihood of their cases remaining at juvenile court or getting moved to adult court.

Powered by WorldNow