The Indiana State Fire Marshal's Office says Indiana residents should be wary of using any heating equipment other than a central heating system to keep their homes warm while frigid air is covering the state.
Fire Marshal Jim Greeson says gas or electric space heaters present a greater fire risk than central heating systems because they tend to be closer to combustible materials and require more care. He also says fireplaces, wood burning stoves, and other fuel-burning sources also are more dangerous.
He also warns people not to use an oven or stove to heat homes and to use the proper grade of fuel for liquid-fueled space heaters - never gasoline. He also warns to refuel only in well-ventilated areas when the equipment is cool.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)