Funding issues have forced Indiana officials to pull the plug on a decade-long effort to turn a stretch of abandoned railroad into a paved trail in a Miami County community.
The Kokomo Tribune reports the Indiana Department of Transportation withdrew grant funding for the project in Converse because the town was having trouble raising its share of funding.
Converse Council Chairman Joe Lenon says the $1.2 million trail would have started in Converse and run east into Grant County. But the town wasn't able to raise the more than $300,000 it needed for the project.
Lenon says town officials proposed a scaled-down version of the trail last year, but INDOT withdrew all funding.
He says town officials will seek new options to fund the trail.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
A pedestrian died after being struck by a sheriff's vehicle around 9:30 p.m. Thursday in the 5200 block of Madison Avenue on the south side of Indianapolis.More >>