Richmond residents are returning to their homes after being evacuated as a gas leak spread through an eight-square-block area in the eastern Indiana city.
Vectren spokeswoman Chase Kelley says repairs to the gas main were completed about 11:15 a.m. Thursday. She says utility workers are accompanying residents to help them relight their pilot lights and make sure their homes are safe.
Police and firefighters began evacuating homes on Richmond's east side about 4:30 a.m.
Vectren crews shut off gas to about 180 homes and businesses about three hours later.
Richmond Community Schools canceled classes at two nearby schools due to the lingering gas odor.
Superintendent Allen Bourff says bus drivers were unable to return about 30 children home, so the students were taken to another site to be picked up by parents.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)