Gas leak prompts evacuation of Anderson apartments - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Gas leak prompts evacuation of Anderson apartments

Posted: Updated:

More than two dozen people have been forced from their apartments after officials in a central Indiana city declared the complex unsafe because of natural gas leaks.

Anderson building commissioner Frank Owens says the evacuation order was made Wednesday night after utility workers found gas leaks in all five buildings at Arbor Village Apartments. The Herald Bulletin reports the complex was briefly evacuated Tuesday until the gas was shut off to three buildings where leaks were first found.

Owens says he was concerned that space heaters being used with the buildings' older wiring systems.

Arbor Village owner Tom Stanley says the apartments were safe with the gas shut off until repairs were made. He says he's invested nearly $1 million in the complex since buying it three years ago.

(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Powered by WorldNow