Explosion victim’s mother speaks out - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Explosion victim’s mother speaks out

Posted: Updated:
INDIANAPOLIS -

It's been two weeks since Elaine Longworth-Sgorcea lost her son, Dion, and his wife Jennifer. The couple was in their Richmond Hill home Saturday, November 10th when the house next door exploded.

Elaine Longworth-Sgorcea told Eyewitness News, "I just want to get to the truth. I know that will come eventually."

Dion and Jennifer Longworth's funeral was held last week. While investigators are making progress, it's still not clear why this explosion happened.

While Eyewitness News has learned that the homeowner and boyfriend who lived next door to the Longworths have been questioned by police, no charges have been filed.

Dion Longworth's mother tells us she does not want this criminal homicide investigation to be rushed. "I don't think they should be pushed or urged to go faster. They are trying to do it the intelligent way, so that all of the research can give me knowledge of what's happened and that's important," said Elaine Longworth-Sgorcea.

Code Enforcement says six homes in the Richmond Hill neighborhood will be demolished Monday, then six more on December 3rd, 17th, and 20th. A total of 33 homes in this one neighborhood will be gone by the end of the year. The four houses at the center of the blast will be torn down later because they're still considered evidence in the criminal investigation.

Longworth-Sgorcea added, "Everyone involved is doing their best job to bring a resolution to this. I know that. That's all I need."

The Department of Metropolitan Development will hire contractors for the demolition, which begins Monday with six homes. Officials say the demolition will be paid for by insurance.

Powered by WorldNow