Former Muncie Central principal charged - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Former Muncie principal charged for failing to report rape

Posted: Updated:

David MacAnally/Eyewitness News

Muncie - Muncie Central High School's former principal is charged with failing to report a student's rape to police.

Christopher Smith faces a misdemeanor charge. Smith was removed from the position last month, although he is still employed by the school district. Smith could get up to six months in jail for not reporting the incident.

"He should have," said one parent.

"They should have taken care of the situation when it happened better than they did," said parent Antoinette Adams.

A 16-year-old girl reported being raped in a school restroom on November 9. Police have said the alleged victim sat in the principal's office for more than two hours while the alleged attacker was allowed to leave the school. The girl had to write down her version of what happened, even though Muncie Police officers were working in the school as security.

"The male student was allowed to go home," a detective said at the time. "Lost evidence that was on him at the time."

Police were only alerted to the incident when Child Protective Services arrived at the school.

Early in the investigation, police said suspect 16-year-old Steven Moore, who has been charged as an adult, even washed his clothes before police could seize them.

"He didn't follow the actions. He should have turned it in when it happened," said a parent.

A two-day quality review by the Indiana Department of Education in December found discipline to be the top issue cited by school staff and students.

Smith was moved to another job and the district is working with police and prosecutors about beefing up discipline.

"I guess rules weren't followed, but I don't know that he had rules to follow," a parent said. "I think they need firmer rules. Don't think what they have is good enough."

The victim's mother told Eyewitness News over the phone that she welcomes the charges against Smith and hopes the message goes out that delay is not acceptable. Smith could not be reached for comment.

Prosecutor Jeff Arnold said he considered more serious felony charges, such as obstruction of justice, but that deals with lying or hiding evidence, which didn't happen in this case.

No other school officials will face charges in the case.

Powered by WorldNow