Carmel victim's family calls plea "ludicrous" - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Carmel victim's family calls plea "ludicrous"

Updated:
Rickey and Sheronda Davis Rickey and Sheronda Davis
Oscar Falodun Oscar Falodun
Attorney Robert Turner Attorney Robert Turner
CARMEL, INDIANA -

Chris Proffitt/Eyewitness News

Carmel - The family of one of the victims in the Carmel H.S. basketball assault case is speaking out again, calling a second plea deal in the case a grave injustice.

Rickey and Sheronda Davis' son is one of three victims in the Carmel basketball assault cases, but he was the first to come forward to make the allegations of hazing and bullying public. The family says same justice system they relied on has victimized them again.

"All four attacked our son on several occasions and others. But the way that this process, this system, is working, we don't exist. He doesn't exist," Sheronda Davis said. "What do we have to keep enduring? How many times do we have to say it happened?"

The Davises and their attorney are angered over a plea deal arranged in the case that, according to an email to the family by a Hamilton County deputy prosecutor, has 19-year-old Oscar Falodun pleading guilty to attacking another victim and not their son, who they say was sexually and physically assaulted. The other victim has been referred to as "victim number two" by Hamilton County Prosecutor Sonia Leerkamp.

"Victim number two is allowed to be a victim by Ms. Leerkamp, who is not a prosecutor. I don't know what she is, but she's not a prosecutor. She's actually an insult to the criminal justice system," said the family's attorney, Robert Turner.

The plea, in effect, dismisses what the family says is the most serious case. It's the identical deal given to 20-year-old Scott Laskowski, who pleaded guilty last month and was sentenced to one year probation and 40 hours of community service.

"We've just been informed that the charges will be dropped across the board. Even more disturbing and ludicrous, we know that my son is no longer considered the victim in the case making it easier to drop the charges," said Rickey Davis.

Falodun is charged with battery and criminal recklessness for his alleged role in a series of attacks on students in a Carmel High School locker room. The Davis' son, who Eyewitness News is not identifying because of his age, says the prosecutors latest plea bargain is unjust.

"I hope that they do the right thing. I hope that maybe she'll change her mind, but that's something that I highly doubt," the boy said. "It's plain to see that there are a lot of things that should not be going on in this case. I hope there's real justice and not political justice."

Falodun's attorney and prosecutors declined to discuss the plea deal until it's officially filed in court, which will happen on Thursday when Oscar Falodun was supposed to go on trial.

Carmel H.S. bus assault stories

Powered by WorldNow