Police investigating death of child in Marion - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Police investigating death of child in Marion

Updated:

Richard Essex/Eyewitness News

Marion - Police believe carbon monoxide poisoning may have killed a boy in Grant County.

Investigators say the mother of two children became concerned about her family when they failed to call Saturday afternoon. She entered the family's home and found the children and her husband unconscious.

"She came back and was hollering and screaming," said a neighbor. "It all had to happen after Thanksgiving."

The women found the victims shortly after 2 p.m. Saturday at the Red Rose subdivision in Marion. The fire department broke windows to clear the suspected poisonous air out of the trailer.

According to the fire department the woman's husband had been making repairs inside their trailer home. The children were helping him clean inside. Heat and electricity were provided by a generator, which investigators believe filled the home with carbon monoxide gas.

A nine-year-old boy died in the incident and his father and sister were hospitalized.

Neighbors say the man had been working on the home a couple days a week for the past month.

"Matter of fact, there was a whole bunch of trash out here the other day, he was cleaning the place up, he seemed like a real nice guy," said neighbor Wayne Shafer.

Shafer was at the hospital when the family was brought in.

"He was surrounded by his family and he was crying," he said.

Though carbon monoxide is suspected in the boy's death, the exact cause of death will be determined by an autopsy.

Powered by WorldNow