As a continued commitment to the community, WTHR offers internships in News, Sports, Weather, Photography, Producing and Social Media.
Students who are currently attending an accredited college or university and have achieved junior status are eligible. Students majoring in journalism, broadcasting or communications are preferred.
The internships are not paid and applicants must receive academic credit in return for the internship.
Participants must have good computer skills, excellent written and verbal communication abilities and knowledge of world, national, state and local current events.
The internship program follows these guidelines:
• No intern will work longer than a 40-hour week. Interns are needed in various day-parts including Days, Nights, Sunrise and Weekends.
• Interns will be required to fill out a time sheet each week to account for hours worked and provide a description of various experiences that week.
• To complete the internship, each intern is expected to produce self-edited news packages for resume material.
An intern's duties will likely include:
• Working on the Assignment Desk.
• Assisting show Producers by writing copy, researching stories and editing video segments to accompany scripts.
• Accompanying Reporters and Photographers in the field as they gather information and video.
• Preparing news content for WTHR's web site and radio newscasts.
• Summer: Summer of 2013 is full.
• Fall: Apply no later than August 15th.
• Winter-Spring: Apply no later than December 1st.
Applications should include a current resume. Successful applicants will have completed college courses in news writing and editing with an exposure to electronic news gathering and video editing.
Prepare a cover letter and answer the following questions:
1. Why are you interested in WTHR?
2. Which area of news are you interested in?
3. What are your goals for the internship?
4. What are your strengths, both academically and in the community?
5. What are your career goals?
Apply via email to Kyle Thomas, Assignment Desk Supervisor: email@example.com
Links to the FCC website to view WTHR and/or WALV’s on-line public inspection files:
WTHR: https://stations.fcc.gov/station-profile/WTHR || WALV: https://stations.fcc.gov/station-profile/WALV
Individuals with disabilities may contact Jill Pursell at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 317.655.5602, for assistance with access to the public inspection files.