This poll was commissioned by WTHR-TV and The Indianapolis Star. Selzer & Company conducted the poll of 500 Hoosiers statewide and 534 likely Democratic primary voters between April 20-23.
Margin of Error: ± 4.4 percentage points for statewide; ± 4.2 percentage points for likely primary voters
1. Democratic Presidential Race
Barack Obama 41%
Hillary Clinton 38%
Not sure 21%
2. Would you say most of your reason for not supporting Hillary Clinton is because you're not sure if the country is ready for a woman president, or is some other reason more important?
Not sure if country is ready for a woman president 6%
Some other reason is more important 92%
Not sure 2%
3. Would you say most of your reason for not supporting Barack Obama is because you're not sure if the country is ready for a black president, or is some other reason more important?
Not sure if country is ready for a black President 7%
Some other reason is more important 89%
Not sure 4%
4. Regardless of which candidate you support, which one would you say:
|Hillary Clinton||Barack Obama||Not Sure|
|Is best able to bring about changes in policy||37%||45%||18%|
|Has the experience to lead||55%||27%||18%|
|Is best able to change the status quo in Washington||32%||48%||20%|
|Is best able to win the presidency in the general election||35%||49%||16%|
|Will be the most successful in unifying the country||35%||46%||19%|
|Is the most trustworthy||27%||44%||29%|
|Has the most attractive leadership style||32%||51%||17%|
|Understands people like me||36%||42%||22%|
|Gives me the most hope for the future||34%||48%||18%|
John McCain 46%
Hillary Clinton 46%
Not sure 8%
6. If the general election were held today and the candidates for president were John McCain for the Republicans and Barack Obama for the Democrats, for whom would you vote?
John McCain 41%
Barack Obama 49%
Not sure 10%
7. Do you think Barack Obama's comments about rural voters' bitterness will hurt him a lot, a little, or not hurt him at all?
|Hurt a lot||18%||17%|
|Hurt a little||40%||37%|
|Not hurt him at all||32%||37%|
8. Nation headed in right direction or wrong track
|Job creation and economic growth||34%||35%|
|The war in Iraq||22%||21%|
|Energy and the cost of gas||15%||12%|
|The environment and global warming||2%||2%|
10. When it comes to Iraq, which do you think is the wiser course of action - for troops to stay longer trying to stabilize the country even if it means potentially more deaths and injuries among U.S. soldiers, or for troops to leave sooner even if it means disorder and potentially civil war?
Mar. 2005 Nov. 2007 Apr. 2008 Troops should stay longer 58% 38% 44% Troops should leave sooner 35% 56% 49%
11. If the Democratic primary election were held today and the candidates for governor were former Congresswoman Jill Long Thompson and architect Jim Schellinger, for whom would you vote?
26% Jill Long Thompson
28% Jim Schellinger
46% Not sure
12. If the general election for governor were held today and the candidates for governor were Jill Long Thompson for the Democrats and Mitch Daniels for the Republicans, for whom would you vote?
|Nov 2007||Apr 2008|
|Jill Long Thompson||44%||44%|
13. If the general election for governor were held today and the candidates for governor were James Schellinger for the Democrats and Mitch Daniels for the Republicans, for whom would you vote?
|Nov 2007||Apr 2008|
14. Do you think things in the state are headed in the right direction, or have they gotten off on the wrong track?
|Nov 2007||April 2008|
15. Do you think Indiana state government has done enough or needs to do more to keep property taxes in check?
Has done enough to keep property taxes in check 23%
Needs to do more to keep property taxes in check 68%
Not sure 9%
16. Job Approval
|Mitch Daniels as governor||April 2008||47%||40%||13%|
|Evan Bayh as U.S. Senator||April 2008||53%||27%||20%|
|Richard Lugar as U.S. Senator||April 2008||59%||18%||23%|
|The Indiana general assembly||April 2008||36%||30%||34%|
Links to the FCC website to view WTHR and/or WALV’s on-line public inspection files:
WTHR: https://stations.fcc.gov/station-profile/WTHR || WALV: https://stations.fcc.gov/station-profile/WALV
Individuals with disabilities may contact Jill Pursell at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 317.655.5602, for assistance with access to the public inspection files.