5K Walk/Run and a 1-Mile Family Walk
Saturday, April 20, 2013
Military Park, Downtown Indianapolis
One in eight women will battle breast cancer. It could be your mother, your sister, your spouse, your daughter, your aunt, your friend, your co-worker, your neighbor….maybe even you. Help find a cure so that someday, no one has to die from breast cancer. Sign up for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure, Saturday, April 20th at Military Park in downtown Indianapolis. WTHR is once again a proud media sponsor.
Channel 13 Eyewitness News Anchors Andrea Morehead and John Stehr will again serve as the emcees of this year's Race for the Cure Opening Ceremonies. Last year's attendance of more than 27,000 raised $2 million for breast cancer research, treatment and education.
Of the net proceeds from the Indianapolis race, 75% will stay in Central Indiana to fund screenings and follow-up care for underserved women. The proceeds will also help provide education about breast health and early detection, and outreach programs. The remaining 25% helps fund the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Research Program.
Susan G. Komen for the Cure, the world's largest grassroots movement of breast cancer survivors, is headquartered in Dallas, Texas and started the races to raise money to find a cure. Since the 1980's, the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure Series® has grown from one local Race with 800 participants to a national series of more than 100 races with some 1.5 million people involved. The Indianapolis race is among the biggest Komen races in the country.