WTHR announced as national Edward R. Murrow "Overall Excellence" winner
INDIANAPOLIS, June 14 — WTHR has made national news and Indiana broadcasting history by winning two national Edward R. Murrow awards for outstanding achievement in electronic journalism.
The Radio Television Digital News Association has announced that WTHR-TV (Channel 13) is the large market 2011 National Edward R. Murrow Award winner for Overall Excellence. (Watch WTHR's entry here.)
WTHR is one of an elite group of newsrooms honored with the Overall Excellence award that also includes NBC News, the Associated Press and CBS Radio News. According to the RTDNA news release, to earn an Overall Excellence Award, a news organization "must consistently demonstrate depth and scope in its coverage."
WTHR also won a national Murrow award for its investigative series "Reality Check: Where are the Jobs?" The honor recognizes 13 Investigates' ongoing series exposing how state leaders inflated Indiana job statistics through a quasi-state agency shrouded in secrecy. The series has also been honored nationally with a Columbia University DuPont Award and a George Foster Peabody award among others.
Here is the complete list of 2011 "Overall Excellence" award winners :
• NBC News (network television)
• CBS Radio News (network radio)
• The Associated Press (online news operation, national)
• Star Tribune, Minneapolis, MN (online news operation, local)
• WTHR-TV, Indianapolis, IN (television, large market)
• WGRZ-TV, Buffalo, NY (television, small market)
• WTOP-FM, Washington (radio, large market)
• WRVA-FM, Richmond, VA (radio, small market)
"WTHR and the Dispatch Broadcast Group have long stood for quality, in-depth journalism," says President and General Manager John Cardenas. "We are honored to be recognized as one of the country's best."