Woman who nearly lost hand to explosive still recovering

Published: .
Updated: .

Jennifer Plank's seven surgeries haven't helped her regain what she lost. An explosive product called Tannerite nearly cost the Kokomo mother her hand.

There are few restrictions on the product with a lot of power.

When we first showed you the damage to Jennifer Plank's wrist, surgical pins protruded from her wrist and hand. She was hit by a one-foot square piece of metal after a friend shot a washing machine with the explosive Tannerite inside.

Plank was using her cell phone to capture the explosion. Had she not been guarding her face and neck with her phone, the metal most likely would have hit her in the face.

Her wrist took the brunt of the hit. "I would probably be dead," said Plank.

She will most likely never be able to use the hand again. She has no feeling in three fingers and her thumb, and very limited use of her index finger.

"They were able to use my own skin and graft across my hand and my fingers. This is a pin that goes with a 12-inch rod to the middle of my arm. This is where the ulna was removed because of infection." said Plank.

Tannerite can be bought at almost any sporting goods store or gun shop. The state of Indiana does not regulate the sale of Tannerite, however most retailers follow the manufacturer's recommendation and sell to people 21 years of age or older.

Tannerite is supposed to be used as an exploding target and is generally only set off with a high velocity rifle, which was the case when Plank was injured.

Plank says she and her lawyer are working on a lawsuit.

There is one silver lining. When Plank was injured, she was also separated from her husband. The injury has brought the two back together.

"It is a blessing I'm alive. I also see what it has done for me.  He has slowed me down and I'm doing things I was never able to do before.  I didn't have time before to take my son to school, to eat lunch with him, to go to my daughter's track meet," she says.

Her hand will never be the same, nor will her life.

State lawmakers who wanted to regulate the sale of the explosive told Eyewitness News the bill is dead this year.