Woman rescued from balcony in west side apartment fire

Published: .
Updated: .

Firefighters had to rescue a woman from a balcony in a northwest Indianapolis apartment fire Saturday.

The fire was reported around 8:30 p.m. Saturday in the Scarborough Lake Apartments near 46th Street and High School Road.

Firefighters say a grease fire started in a second floor kitchen. Residents tried to put it out with water, which made it worse. Fire extinguishers in the building weren't enough to put the fire out.

Some neighbors said the smoke detectors were not working. One resident told Eyewitness News he only knew there was a fire when black smoke started pouring in under his door.

"I realized it when I saw black smoke seeping through my doors. I tried to go on the third floor, knock on people's doors, but it was black smoke everywhere," said Eric Woods. "Everybody was trapped. Everybody on the third floor was trapped. Nobody realized there was people on the third floor. We saw the lights was off on the third floor, so we didn't realize anyone was there."

One woman had to be rescued from a third floor balcony. She was checked for injuries by medics at the scene. No other injuries were reported, but 12 residents were displaced by the fire.

The Pike Township Fire Department was the first to respond to the fire. They were assisted by firefighters from the Wayne Township and Indianapolis fire departments.