West side house fire displaces five
An early morning house fire near West 10th on Tremont has displaced the mother and four children who live there. They were not home at the time of the fire, shortly after 1:15 a.m.
Levia Heffner, who has been renting the house for approximately two months, arrived home with her children shortly after fire crews arrived.
She confirmed that no one was inside the house as crews worked to put out the fire.
Hefner also told fire crews that she was using several space heaters and the stove to heat the house.
Ms. Heffner and her children will be staying with friends for now.
Fire crews had the blaze under control in a little over an hour.
Much of the back of the house has been destroyed, and the interior is essentially gutted. IFD estimates damage at $45,000.
IFD reminds people that winter weather brings safety considerations when using space heaters and other means of heating homes. Check the wiring of space heaters and the placement of alternative heating devices. Keep them clear of all obstructions, curtains and furniture.