Vermont gun importer lays off 41, blames rules
Century International Arms, of Fairfax, says the White House blocked its permits for the deal.
While the White House didn't respond to requests for comment Friday, last summer it issued a release saying it was blocking the re-importation of surplus military weapons as a way to reduce gun violence.
Century Arms said Thursday it had been planning on importing a large number of vintage WWII-era, M1 Garand rifles from South Korea and it had all the permits to do so until the White House intervened and blocked the deal.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.