Two in custody following Indianapolis south side chase


Two young men are now in custody after a police cruiser crashed early Tuesday while chasing a stolen vehicle.

Cameron Harmon, 18, was arrested Tuesday after the chase, which reached speeds of 115 mph. Police arrested a second 18-year-old man later Tuesday. Police say the second suspect, Aaron McCarty of Indianapolis, has ties to Johnson and Marion Counties.

The officer crashed his car into a house on Royal Meadow Drive on the south side early Tuesday morning.

Officers believe the two men they chased went on a crime spree, breaking into cars - including a police car - in Bargersville.

Sheriff Doug Cox said the chase started shortly before 4:30 a.m. on S.R. 135 near Stones Crossing in Johnson County, after callers reporter a possible drunk driver. Greenwood officers were assisting sheriff's deputies as the pursuit moved north into Marion County.  

The Greenwood officer's car hit the house in the 8500 block of Royal Meadow Drive, which is north of County Line Road.  Nobody in the home at the time was injured.

"It was a big crash and it was a different kind of crash," said Doug Kruse, whose home sported a large hole after the police cruiser crashed into it.

Repair crews patched up the hole Kruse's wall Tuesday morning. It was part of the trail of damage left behind as police tried to catch two people on the run.

Cameron Harmon almost got away during the police chase, which reached speeds of 115 mph. One officer on his trail slammed into the front bedroom at the Kruse home around 4:30 in the morning.

"My wife ran out front and said, 'There is a police car in the yard,' and I said, 'Okay.' The officer came up to the door and said he was okay," said Kruse.

Inside, Kruse put up plastic to keep out the rain. Outside, the hole is boarded up, and there is a pile of bricks and tire tracks in the mud showing the path of the police car, which also took out a neighbor's mailbox.

"The mailbox was way down there and was shattered all down the street. I picked up as many as the pieces as I could," said Frank Stasik, resident.

A second officer continued the pursuit to nearby railroad tracks, where he says Harmon lost control in a reportedly stolen car and made a run for it on foot - but didn't get away.

After a crash that woke up a neighborhood, Kruse and his neighbors hope this is a wake-up call for two 18-year-olds now in serious trouble.

"They put all these officers in jeopardy with their lives and stuff it's just a real unfortunate situation," said Tim Wolf, resident.

"I have lived here for 30 years and never expected anything like this to happen," said Kruse.

The Greenwood Police officer injured in the crash was taken by a fellow officer to the hospital to be evaluated.  His injuries are not life-threatening.