Two escape exploding propane tanks in Columbus fire

Chet Strange | The Republic Firefighters battle a blaze at 23rd and Keller Streets on Saturday, March 22, 2014. PHOTO COURTESY THE REPUBLIC
Published: .
Updated: .

Authorities say two residents of a south central Indiana home escaped unharmed after a propane heater being used in a living room burst into flames and caused propane tanks to explode on the porch.

Columbus Fire Department inspector Matt Noblitt says occupant Lori Hawk unsuccessfully tried to extinguish the fire Saturday night by placing blankets over the heater, but flames spread to a couch and table.

The Republic reports Hawk helped another occupant, Adam Kamman, escape to the front of the house and police helped the two move to a safer area as propane tanks on the porch began to explode.

The fire caused $50,000 in damages.

Information from: The Republic 

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)