Two become ill after eating Skittles from Indiana store

Published: .
Updated: .

Health officials are issuing an alert after packages of candy sold at a Richmond gas station contained chemical substances.

UPDATE: Skittles deemed safe

The Indiana State Department of Health says preliminary tests show bags of Skittles candy sold at the Marathon Food Mart at 2105 National Road West in Richmond contained "unconfirmed chemical substances." Two individuals who ate from a package of Skittles on Tuesday (March 4) suddenly became ill with burning throats, cramping and diarrhea.

The affected individuals were treated and have since been released from Reid Hospital in Richmond.

Health officials are advising individuals who have purchased Skittles with the following lot numbers - "08JUL14 023" and "01DEC14 023" - not consume the candy.

Unopened packages, or open packages with product still in the bag, should be placed in an envelope and held in a safe place until recovered by the Indiana State Police. Contact the Indiana State Police Pendleton Post at 800-527-4752. (NOTE: The 800 number only works in Indiana.) Provide officers with your name, phone number and the address where the candy is located.

The convenience store where the candy was sold and the distributor have removed all of the Skittles packages with the lot numbers in question.