Two-alarm fire sparked by car's electrical malfunction

Published: .
Updated: .

A fire that destroyed two homes and heavily damaged another two originated in a parked car, firefighters say.

Investigators determined that the fire started inside a car that was parked in the garage of the home where the fire originated. It was determined that an electrical malfunction in the car started the fire.

The car, a 2005 Chevy Equinox, was not running at the time the fire started.

The fire displaced six people and some of their pets. One firefighter had a slight injury and was treated at the scene.

Wayne Township firefighters were called to the two-alarm fire on the Indianapolis northwest side at around 12:20 pm Thursday. It happened on Windham Lake Circle near I-74 and took about 45 minutes to get under control. Crews from Indianapolis, Pike, Speedway and Brownsburg assisted.

High winds caused the fire to spread quickly to other homes. Two homes were destroyed and two others were heavily damaged.

All of the occupants who were home at the time of the fire escaped without injury. The people who were displaced are getting help from Wayne Township Victims Assistance.

Firefighters rescued two dogs, which have been reunited with their owners. A cat that had run from one of the burning homes is being treated for burns.

In all, 60 firefighters from five departments assisted.

Damage estimates could run over $500,000.