Troopers, motorists aid pregnant woman in I-70 crash

Jamie Garrett, pregnant with her first child, was stuck in traffic for three hours Thursday.
Published: .
Updated: .

There are stories of heroism emerging from the deadly chain-reaction crash on Interstate 70 Thursday in Hendricks County.

One of those stories involves an expectant mother who was rescued after a serious health scare on the highway.

Just beyond the mangled mess of metal, stuck among the trucks and cars backed up on the interstate, was 27-year-old Jamie Garrett.

"I'm thinking, 'Why am I at a complete stop?' I'm like, 'Oh no, this can't be good'," Garrett said. "I called my parents and they told me, 'Well there's a bad accident. It's breaking news on the TV right now.'"

Pregnant with her first child, due in April, Garrett was headed to work on I-70 Thursday afternoon, when she'd soon get into real danger that had nothing to do with the accident itself.

"I have gestational diabetes, so my blood sugar goes up and goes down, goes up and goes down," Garrett explained.

Garrett hadn't had lunch yet, when the 40-car pile-up stopped her on I-70. She was stuck in her car for hours, which put her health and the health of her baby at serious risk.

"An hour passes I'm like, 'Okay, I'm really hungry now.' Two hours pass, 'Okay, I'm not feeling good.' And then by the third hour, I was calling my husband. I'm like, 'Honey, I can't stay here. I'm not feeling well at all'," Garrett said. "I was very tired, very weak. I didn't really have focus as to where I was."

She tested her blood sugar and from the reading, she knew she had to call for help fast. It was 59, when Garrett says she should have been around 95.

She called emergency crews in Plainfield, knowing so many were busy with the wreck up ahead. But it turns out, heroism for Hoosiers happened all across the highway that day. Some people pulled out victims who were trapped in their cars. For mom-to-be Jamie, help from strangers came fast.

"The ambulance came. They gave me some glucose to help raise my sugar up. A state trooper came with them as well and he actually took my car to the rest area and parked it as the ambulance took me to my husband. He even gave me a call this morning. I got a phone call from the state trooper saying, you know, asking me how I was doing, how the baby was. And there were other drivers who noticed I was pregnant and came to see what they could do, when they saw I was in trouble," Garrett explained.

Mom and baby are fine now. Her glucose levels are back to normal and her doctor says she should have no problems with her baby's April delivery.

Now, Garrett says she's prepared in case of another crisis.

"I've got crackers in my car. I've got water. I have two people to take care of, myself and my baby, so I have to do that," she said.

She's also thankful, for those who got her out of danger Thursday afternoon.

"It really takes good character from people. You know you hear all these bad things and you never get to hear the good," she said. "Everyone just kind of came together to help."