Timeline reveals moments of officer's shooting

Suspect Thomas Hardy

Indianapolis - Details are emerging about Sunday's shooting that left a Metro Police officer in critical condition.

The timeline reveals more information about what happened when Officer David Moore pulled over a car in the 3400 block of North Temple Avenue Sunday morning.

According to IMPD, the timeline of those crucial moments is as follows:

9:01 am: Officer Moore inputs the license plate data of the vehicle into his computer.

9:02 am:  Dispatch operators get the first report of shots fired.

9:04 am: The first dispatch call goes out for an officer down.

9:05 am:  The first officer arrives on the scene. He is also a member of the North District, where Officer Moore serves.

At 9:56 am, police say other evidence places the shooting suspect, 60-year-old Thomas Hardy, at a robbery at the Dollar General store at 1801 S. Emerson Avenue - about 45 minutes after the shooting of Officer Moore.

In all, police received four 911 calls about the shooting. By 5:30 pm, IMPD had Hardy in custody. He was arrested without incident on Indianapolis Avenue.

IMPD Chief Paul Ciesielski calls Hardy a "habitual violator." The chief said investigators believe Hardy is the only person responsible for the officer's shooting.

Officer Moore, 29, joined IMPD in 2004 and serves on the department's North District. According to IMPD officials, he was shot twice in the face. Moore's father, Spencer Moore, says his son has not responded to neurological tests, and doctors say the next few days will be critical to his recovery.

Tense moments

Reverend Harry Spigner was in his church office Sunday morning preparing for the 9:30 am service at Jones Tabernacle AME Zion church.

"The sound came against this window when the gunshots rang out," said Rev. Spigner.

IMPD Officer David Moore had just been shot in front of this house near the church.

"I heard first rounds of four, then I heard a dead space. Then I heard three more rounds," said Preston Richardson, neighbor.

The 29-year-old policeman, shot four times, was on the ground at 9:04 and critically wounded. By the time Reverend Spigner walked to the scene, emergency workers were working to save the officer while many people in the neighborhood were just learning of what happened.

One man, who didn't want to appear on camera, said that after the suspect shot the officer, he drove north on Temple, side swiping the homeowner's wife's car as she was driving to church.

Reverend Spigner says that he helped console several officers at the scene then returned to his congregation.

"If it had not been for the timing, Sunday morning getting ready for worship, it would have been something I would have experienced, talked about and gone on. But I knew at that time that I had to play a role as pastor for this community and for the parishioners," said Rev. Spigner.

There will be a prayer vigil at the church at 6:00 pm Tuesday (2510 E. 34th St.)

Related stories:

Officer shooting suspect in custody

IMPD Chief comments on shooting of Officer Moore