Three killed, more than 140 injured in explosion at Boston Marathon
Three people, including an eight-year-old boy, were killed and over 144 were injured in two explosions at the finish line of the Boston Marathon, according to Boston Police. Police say they do not have anyone in custody in connection with the incident.
The explosions, which occurred a little after 3:00 pm, were described as large blasts and appeared to occur somewhere in the crowd on the sidewalk, not in the street. They were about twenty seconds apart.
Officials say three people were killed in the explosions. WHDH-TV in Boston says one of those killed was 8-year-old Martin Richard. Sources say the boy was waiting for his father to finish the race, ready to give him a hug for finishing, when he was killed. The child's mother and sister were also injured in the explosion.
More than 144 people were treated at local hospitals for injuries ranging from minor to critical. Officials said Monday evening 17 patients were listed in critical condition.
The injuries ranged from cuts and bruises to amputations. Many victims suffered lower leg injuries and shrapnel wounds. Some suffered ruptured eardrums.
No other details were given about those killed or injured in the blasts.
Smoke filled the air of Boylston Street after the explosions. Pictures from the scene by eyewitnesses show victims with parts of their legs missing being wheeled from the scene.
Dr. Richard Wolfe, chief of the department of emergency medicine at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, told the Associated Press one or two of the hospital's 21 patients faced a "high probability of mortality."
The explosions occurred at a midway point of the race. About half of the runners had already finished. But the streets were still lined with thousands of people.
Search warrant served
WBZ-TV reported late Monday that law enforcement officers were searching an apartment in the Boston suburb of Revere. Massachusetts State Police confirmed that a search warrant related to the investigation into the explosions was served Monday night in Revere but provided no further details.
FBI takes over investigation
The Federal Bureau of Investigation has taken over the investigation into the explosions. Federal, state and local law enforcement is at the scene assisting.
Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick said the City of Boston will be open on Tuesday, but asked residents to "be in a state of heightened vigilance."
Officials say there will be an increased police presence throughout the city and commuters on the city's "T" subway system will be subject to searches of backpacks and other parcels.
Patrick says the National Guard has secured the area around the explosion site, which remains an active crime scene.
JFK Library fire not connected
A third incident at JFK Library, which is located several miles away from the scene of the initial explosions, was confirmed by the Boston Police commissioner at a news conference just before 5:00 pm. However, that later turned out to be an unrelated fire.
If you are trying to get in touch with a friend or family member in Boston, call 617-635-4500.
If you have a tip related to the investigation, call 1-800-494-TIPS.
Explosive devices dismantled
Three separate law enforcement agencies are looking into whether the blasts were caused by improvised explosive devices placed near a building or trash can.
An intelligence official says two additional explosive devices were discovered and are being dismantled.
It was not immediately clear what kind of devices had been found Monday. The official said the first two did appear to be bombs.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the findings publicly.
The official said it was not clear what the motive was or who may have launched the attack.
People who fled the scene in panic dropped their belongings. Police say every bag and parcel is being treated as a suspicious device.
Covered in blood
People at the site of the blasts were reported as being "covered in blood" and one report indicated one person had lost their legs. Video that shows one of the explosions reveals a runner falling down at the moment of the blast.
Other pictures shared on Twitter showed victims with lacerations and other injuries. There was at least one young child among the injured.
Windows and doors near the scene were blown out from the force of the blast. A metal barricade also came down.
A former Army medic says the scene was "more like Baghdad and Bombay than Boston."
Bruce Mendelsohn was attending a post-race party in an office building just above the blast site when an explosion knocked him to the floor. He rushed outside and found blood, glass and debris everywhere, and began applying pressure to what he calls "gruesome" wounds.
One of the runners describes a gruesome scene inside a medical tent near the finish line, as bombing victims were brought in "with no limbs." He says he tried to shield his children's eyes, but says "they saw a lot."
Thousands of people were evacuated from the scene, which is near Copley Place in Boston's Back Bay. Participants who hadn't finished the race at that point were being directed off course.
The marathon's headquarters are on lockdown. Green Line Service between Kenmore and Park Street Stations has been suspended, according to the MBTA.
Boston EMS and Fire were already on duty as part of marathon preparations, and the explosion occurred not far from a medical tent designed to treat runners during the marathon.
Obama: Those responsible will be held accountable
President Barack Obama, responding to the explosions at the Boston Marathon, says the United States does not know "who did this or why" but vowed that whoever is responsible "will feel the full weight of justice."
He said: "We will find out who did this and we will hold them accountable."
Obama made his remarks Monday evening from the White House about three hours after two explosions detonated near the marathon's finish line. At least two people were killed and 50 injured in the blasts.
Obama has been in touch with federal law enforcement and Massachusetts officials in the aftermath of the explosions.
The Secret Service reacted cautiously to the blasts, expanding the security perimeter around the White House.