Teen injured in parasailing accident arrives in Indianapolis

Alexis Fairchild (left) was admitted to an Indianapolis rehabilitation hospital Thursday.
Published: .
Updated: .

An Indiana teenager seriously injured in a parasailing accident has arrived in Indianapolis to continue her rehabilitation.

Alexis Fairchild was admitted to the Rehabilitation Hospital of Indiana Thursday evening after traveling from Panama City, Fla. with her family. Fairchild was released from a Florida hospital Thursday morning.

The teen and a friend, Sidney Good, both of Huntington, Ind., were injured when a tow rope broke free on a parasail in Panama City July 1. The pair drifted, striking the side of a condominium, power lines and landing in a parking lot, slamming into a car below.

Good continues to recover from her injuries in the Panama City hospital where Fairchild had been staying.

"We were hoping to start rehab today with Sidney. This is not going to happen. Doctors came last night and said that Sidney needs additional surgery on her head, face and sinus cavity," a family member tweeted Thursday evening. "They will be working to transfer her soon to another facility. She is still critical and we thank God she is making progress in the right direction."

Fairchild's father, Michael, declined comment as his family entered the Indianapolis hospital Thursday evening. A security guard told Eyewitness News the check-in process for any patient is lengthy and can take four hours.

The father and daughter left Florida Thursday morning and set off on the 11 hour drive.

Fairchild will spend the next several weeks at RHI in therapy.

"She'll probably be spending probably a week or two there for inpatient and she'll be spending a little time on outpatient, but overall, I'd say for what she's been through her spirits are pretty good," said Michael Fairchild at a news conference Wednesday night.

Fairchild has made strides in her recovery sooner than expected, allowing her to come home to Indiana for the remainder or her rehab.

"Even the doctors say that with the injury, it's surprising that's she's out walking as soon as she is," Fairchild said of his daughter's recovery.

While both women continue to recover, their friends in Indiana held a fundraiser to help the women during the process.