Suspect identified in Monday's Noblesville SWAT standoff

(WTHR photo)

A shooting in Noblesville Monday afternoon led to a four-hour SWAT standoff with a suspect holed up in his home.

Finally, SWAT entered the home and found the man dead with a self-inflicted gunshot wound in an upstairs bedroom.

Police identified the suspect today as 53-year-old Nicholas J. Proctor of Noblesville.

The incident happened in the 13000 block of Cerulean, in Noblesville's Meadows Glen subdivision.

The victim of that shooting spoke to Eyewitness News about surviving getting shot by her neighbor, who she says wasn't the man she knew, when he pulled the gun on her.

Hours after a SWAT standoff and shooting rattled her Noblesville neighborhood, the victim, Tricia Wagner, just home from the hospital, can hardly believe it happened.

"I just thought, 'What's it gonna be like if he kills me?' But I knew this wasn't my last day," Wagner said.

Wagner says she was shot by neighbor and friend of 15 years.

"I went out of my home to get the mail and bring in the trash can and I turned around and my neighbor was coming at me through his fence with the gun in his hand. He raised the gun and shot me and I went to the ground," Wagner said.

The bullet went in Wagner's hip and out her leg. Then, her neighbor raised the gun again.

"And I said, you know, 'Don't do this. Think about what you're doing. You don't wanna do this,' and he turned and walked away," Wagner said.

Her husband called 911 and as she was being treated at the hospital, police from Noblesville, Carmel, Fishers and Westfield, along with the SWAT team raced to the Meadows Glen neighborhood.

"After the sixth one flew by, I thought, 'Well, something's going on out here'," said neighbor Garrett Kahlo.

"They looked like they're going in for battle," added neighbor Rebecca Shea.

Officers with guns drawn and vests on tried to talk to the gunman, who was holed up in his house.

Police had the suspect on the phone for about an hour.

But then, they say he cut off communication and SWAT had to take over, using tactical training to try to get him out.

Nearby, a group of neighbors gathered, holding hands in spontaneous prayer for the violence on their street to end safely.

But after four hours, police delivered the news. SWAT got inside the home and found the suspect dead in an upstairs bedroom.

Wagner says that suspect, the man who came at her with a gun, wasn't the neighbor she knew. She says he'd had emotional and health problems recently and went through a difficult divorce.

"If he was in his right mind, he would have never done this," Wagner said through tears. "I saw it in his eyes. He was a madman. You could just see he was walking at me with a fast pace with a gun at his side. This wasn't my neighbor. It just wasn't him. I don't have any anger towards him, it's sad. To know that he took his own life, I'm more upset by that because he didn't have to do that."

Wagner also says she's thankful her injuries weren't more serious - that she survived the sudden violence right outside her own home.

"I'm home and I'm alive and God was with me and took care of me. That's for sure," Wagner said.