Speedway apartment fire injures man

Published: .
Updated: .

A Speedway man was rescued from his bedroom and taken to Wishard Hospital in critical condition after unattended food started a fire in the apartment's kitchen Monday night.

The man, who was not identified by IFD, was suffering from smoke inhalation. Nobody else was hurt, but nine other residents were displaced.

The fire on Watergate Road in the Stratford Apartments, north of the Coke lot, was called in at 10:15 p.m. Fire crews found heavy smoke when they arrived, but managed to control the fire within 30 minutes and confined the damage to the one apartment.

IFD estimated damage at $25,000.