Space heater causes house fire at Hamilton-Boone county line

John Kofodimos - WTHR

Firefighters are blaming a space heater for a farmhouse fire that brought multiple departments to the Hamilton-Boone county line early Friday morning, closing 146th Street at Eagle Creek Avenue.

The road re-opened by 5:00 a.m.

The homeowner was watching television when he noticed smoke, and activated his house alarm system shortly before 1:00 a.m.  Carmel firefighters arrived first to find the front of the house, which sits on the corner of Eagle Creek and 146th, on fire.  They called for the assistance of water trucks from other departments in Hamilton and Boone counties.

The fire spread to the home's attic, according to John Barrett of the Westfield Fire Department, one of the other departments that responded.  Eventually, the fire spread through voids and walls to the second floor, and flames lapped through the roof.

Barrett said the elderly homeowner escaped unhurt and went to a neighbor's house.  The Red Cross will assist him.  No firefighters were injured.

Fire crews needed more than two hours to gain control of the fire.  Damage is estimated at $50,000.

Firefighters from Westfield, Carmel, Sheridan, Zionsville, and Perry Township assisted with the blaze.

The roads in the area are icy due to the amount of water at scene and the overnight temperatures.