Smoking materials blamed for Westfield house fire

Picture courtesy of Andrew Schmelz
Published: .
Updated: .

Firefighters say discarded smoking materials were the cause of a fire that destroyed a home in Westfield on Sunday.

Westfield firefighters were called to the 100 block of West Tansey Crossing around 1:00 pm Sunday afternoon after several calls to 911 about a house on fire. Crews arrived at the Crossings of Spring Mill Village, at 156th and Spring Road, and found the house engulfed. 

The family was headed back from vacation when they learned their home was destroyed by fire. Their adult children were home at the time of the fire. No one was injured.

A second alarm had to be called in to fight the fire. When firefighters arrived, flames were shooting from every window and door at the front of the home. They couldn't even see the back because of heavy smoke and flames.

Firefighters worked to keep two adjacent homes from catching on fire. It took over an hour to put out the flames.

Firefighters say the fire started on the back porch from discarded smoking materials.

The home where the fire began will have to be rebuilt. There was also damage to two adjacent homes. Total damage to all three homes is estimated at $270,000.