Six months after acquittal, David Camm speaks publicly for the first time

David Camm speaks to students at Indiana State University Wednesday.
Published: .
Updated: .
It is perhaps one of Indiana's most high profile cases - the State vs. David Camm.

The case dates back to 2000 in New Albany, when the one-time Indiana State Police officer came home to find his wife and two children murdered. He was been behind bars pretty much the entire time since then, until a Boone County jury declared him not guilty last fall.

In 45 minutes Wednesday, Camm shared 13 years of his life with Indiana State University students in Terre Haute, including the moment that changed his life forever in October.

"It’s good to be here, in fact it's good to be anywhere where I'm not surrounded by steel bars and concrete," Camm said with a slight chuckle after he was introduced Wednesday afternoon.

"I've been out's six months," he added, while trying to avoid getting choked up.

Freedom still feels new for the 50-year-old southern Indiana resident.

While he's been profiled nationally on NBC's Dateline, his trip to Indiana State University is his first time speaking publicly.

"This is going to be tough," he said with a pause after he introduced himself.

"It’s okay, you’re among friends and family," someone in the audience said to break the ice.

Perhaps tougher is Camm’s life since 2000. Much of that was behind bars for a crime he and a Boone County jury say he didn't commit.

Camm served 13 years the murder of his wife and two children.

"I'm the father of Brad, a seven-year-old little boy. I always wanted a son," Camm said at the podium, followed by recounting memories of his wife and daughter.

Since being found not guilty in October, Camm says he's grieved their loss, but this time as a free man.

"There will be times I'm just driving down the road or sitting by myself and it just hit me the places I've been over 13 years, and things that I have been through and the things that I've been called wrongfully and then I realize I'm not in that situation anymore," Camm told Eyewitness News.

On top of the emotions and a new normal, he's had to adjust to what seems like a new world.

"The technology, the phone, the televisions all of that normal stuff that people have taken for granted probably having adjusted incrementally over the years was extraordinarily overwhelming, but I'm getting the hang of it," Camm said with a slight laugh.

He's back in southern Indiana, slowly getting around, while trying to start a new life.

"There are times when it is uncomfortable, but it is a process and I haven't done anything wrong. I didn't do anything wrong, I know that, so I can continue to walk with my head up," Camm said.

But it's still one day at a time.

"There's no closure. It never ends," he said while fighting back tears. "Time doesn't heal. It just becomes a part of you."

After eight weeks of testimony, a Boone County jury of eight women and four men set Camm free. He says he has befriended some of them, saying that they were brave and changed his life forever.

Camm works with the Investigating Innocence group on other cases like his across the country.