Shelbyville man charged in missing girlfriend's murder

Scott Schuck (WTHR photo)

The former boyfriend of a missing Shelbyville woman is now being charged with murder.

Court documents say Scott Schuck admitted to police that he and Rebecca Cassidy got into an argument four years ago when he struck and strangled her. Schuck admitted to burying her body in his backyard.

The probable cause affidavit states that police found human remains, along with a purse containing Rebecca Cassidy's ID in Schuck's yard.

Schuck's first court appearance set for Thursday was delayed. He initially faced a charge of voluntary manslaughter, but now faces a murder charge. His next court hearing is scheduled for Sept. 24, 2014.

After a day of digging, police discovered human remains in the backyard of Schuck's home in the 1200 block of Elm Street.

Cassidy was last seen in April 2010. She disappeared in the neighborhood where the remains were found.

As crews searched his yard, Schuck told WTHR that he had nothing to do with Cassidy's disappearance. That was before his arrest.

Traffic at the corner of Evans and Elm in Shelbyville has been non-stop.

"We've got a very big crime scene. We've got our own CSI, I guess, out here," said Mary Deprez, who watched it all from her front yard on Thursday.

"I don't really think it's sunk in," she said.

For the past 48 hours people here have watched the digging that has unearthed human remains and turned Scott Schuck from trusted neighbor into accused killer.

"The neighbors kind of feel betrayed by him because he's been very friendly. I opened my door to him not knowing anything about this," said Deprez.

Schuck's girlfriend, 33-year-old Rebecca Cassidy, went missing four years ago. He's been a person of interest in the case, but there hasn't been enough evidence to arrest him until the remains were found behind his house.

"If he didn't put them there, who did? Who did?" Deprez wondered.

Even though no one has confirmed that Schuck is accused of killing and burying Cassidy, neighbors have put two and two together.

"You kind of figure, as they go along with the investigation, it's a possibility that he did," said Deprez.

Now that the digging is done, Mary Deprez and many others here are hoping the quiet will return.

"Hopefully get our lives back to normal," she said.